6 Inexpensive Landscaping Ideas on a Tight Budget
Landscaping of homes is a way of improving the appearance of the surroundings of the home either for aesthetic value or for practical use. Home landscaping is very easy if you know what to improve upon. Everyone wants their homes to look attractive. Inexpensive landscaping ideas do not imply keeping an inferior landscape. It is very much possible to keep a fabulous landscape without spending a fortune. It all boils down to the information you have at your disposal and how much you are willing to do in order to have a beautiful landscape. Here, you have 6 tips to develop inexpensive landscaping ideas on a tight budget.
1. The use of Cheap and Affordable Plants
There is need for adjustment of our attitudes and mindset. Many believe quality plants can only be bought from specialized gardens. This is only a function of the mindset. Many are of the opinion that obtaining cheap plants is compromising the quality landscape. This, also, is not true. What is important is having the time to sift through the cheap plants so as to select specimens that are acceptable. Another thing is having the time to give the selected plants extra care after planting. The time spent on the steps above usually help to keep an inexpensive landscape that appears as if millions of dollars have been invested.
2. Conserving as much water as possible
Inexpensive landscaping Ideas transcends obtaining cheap and affordable plants. There are plants that require more water than others. Water is a precious commodity which should be conserved as much as possible. To achieve this, drought tolerant plants can be selected. These perennials are better plants to opt for. Money can also be saved through the installation of automatic irrigation systems. This will avert wastage of water that is associated with the use of hose and watering cans. Inexpensive landscaping is possible making use of this fabulous idea.
3. Containers and Fertilizers
Making use of containers for planting is advisable if there is a limited space for landscape. Inexpensive containers can be purchased and plants can be done by the owner of the landscape. There are so many inexpensive containers can be got from yard sales. The only caution about containers bought from yard sales is scouring out the containers very well as they may be harboring plant diseases. Addition of fertilizers is a necessity for plants whether they are planted in the ground or in containers. The best way to avoid spending on fertilizer in order to save money is building your own compost bin. All the kitchen wastes, scraps, raked leaves, food leftovers etc. gets incorporated into the compost bin. If these components are watered and mixed regularly, soil supplements can easily be derived from the compost for free. This is a way of recycling waste and at the same time, it saves the amount that will be spent on fertilizer.
4. Overuse of Pesticides on Lawns
Many people who keep a landscape are always obsessed over weeds in their lawns. This usually makes them to spend many dollars on broadleaf weed killing products. The result of their actions is a monoculture. According to experts, certain percentages of weeds are acceptable in the lawn. Their opinion is that it helps to keep a healthier lawn due to the presence of diversity. If the weeds are clovers, it is better left as they help to fertilize the lawn for free. Excessive weeding should be avoided to avoid monoculture.
5. Incorporate some Hardscaping
Inexpensive landscape can be kept by employing the use of brick walkways, ponds & rock gardens. It offers the opportunity to do some tasks personally and this usually saves the owner of the landscape lots of money on daily landscaping maintenance. Most of the jobs are very easy to do. Proper planning of the Master landscape plan offers the opportunity to have a well laid unique looking landscape. It also affords the owner to work on the landscaping maintenance comfortably.
6. The use of the Existing Plants
Many home owners usually look down on what they have. Instead of buying new plants, preserving the existing plants can be a great way to save the cost, resources and material that will be required to plant new ones. Having the right education about plant care and pruning will save you a lot of money. Here at Lisk Landscape, we love to incorporate some of the existing plants if possible, to help keep costs down.
Small Backyard Landscaping Ideas
13 Small Backyard Landscaping Ideas That Will Make A Big Difference!
Small Yards Can Be Beautiful Yards
1. No Grass, No WorryBackyard Landscaping does not necessarily demand bluegrass. Ground greenery using Mondo grass, sometimes known as monkey grass, can work wonderfully. This grassy groundcover is practically carefree year-round. Plant them around trees or in interesting patterns.
2. Plant Over, Up and AroundA great small Backyard Landscaping Ideas is to use trellises to support vines. One of the most lovely and romantic ways to use trellis planting is to frame a bench or other intimate seating area. Trellis sides on each slope of the seating meet with a top length of trellis, the “roof” of the structure. Use one of the many varieties of clematis, which produces lovely and long-lasting blooms for weeks at a time. Planting one or two grape varieties will pay off handsomely in just a few years.
3. Water Features for Soul SoothingThere is nothing like the sound, look and feel of water. Water can be used in many ways and many dimensions in the small backyard. Fountains are perfect for a small space. Some of the more interesting uses are moving water displays that run vertically, such as a vertical fountain hung on a fence. Hiring a local sculptor to create a one-of-a-kind piece can make a real statement.
4. Raised Beds Are Great Everywhere
Raised beds have been used by gardeners for a long time. The ground is double-spaded that is, dug twice to a depth of 2 to 3 feet. The garden bed is framed above ground level, usually with treated lumber or redwood. When planted with vegetables, these beds can easily provide a season of fresh food for a small family. Since the plants grow so close together, weeds are seldom a problem. Raised beds can even be made to be portable.
5. Pots and Pots of PlantsPlants do not have to go directly into the ground. Browsing a local garden center will surely turn up many examples of lovely and unique pots in many sizes, shapes and colors. Best of all, this Backyard Landscaping Idea can be accomplished over several years, until the space is filled with a wonderful collection. By using complementary colors and varieties of plants, and placing of the pots with an artistic eye, the result can be stunning.
6. Takeout with TasteFoodies will love this tip for their small backyards. Planting an old-fashioned kitchen garden takes little space and produces superb kitchen products. Imagine stepping just outside the back door to harvest basil, chives, mint and a few cherry tomatoes for supper. There are many varieties of herbs, many flowering and beautiful as well as tasty.
7. Stage the Backyard with FurnitureWhen we think of outdoor furniture, we see lawn chairs, benches and picnic tables. How about this Small Backyard Landscaping idea? Try placing a bed in your yard, preferably under a shady dwarf tree. A comfy bed made up in pretty bedclothes will create a unique retreat for reading a book or taking a snooze in the afternoon. Simply cover the bed when not in use. Do not forget to include one of many fire pit designs, a must-have for cool evenings.
8. Rock and Gravel PlantingNot every space in your small yard needs to be planted. Sometimes, the majesty of large rocks placed strategically adds depth to a landscaping design. Differing sizes and colors of gravel can produce a work of art, a painting directly on the earth. Keep in mind the ancient art of the Japanese Zen garden. It is not too difficult to learn and produce, and working within its borders is guaranteed to be relaxing.
9. A Place for the ChildrenIf youngsters live in the house, their needs should of course be included in the planning of the backyard. Raise a platform of soil around the edges of the backyard and cover the soil with rubberized playground mulch for safety. The area can be a base for playground sets, a tree house or a sandbox. Want to keep the outside outside? Install a screened outdoor shower in the yard.
10. From a Tuscan VillaMany of us long for a Tuscan villa with a long, sloping lawn where a farmer’s table is set with linens and fine china, ready to receive the extended family. Have the next best thing in your small backyard by utilizing a narrow space and fitting it with the longest narrow table you can fit into the space. Go wild with the table setting, from the tablecloth to a candelabrum. Use Backyard Landscaping Ideas for lighting, such as hanging fairy lights over the table and in the trees. Whether you seat a large family or a newlywed couple, the space will be magic.
11. Shade is Possible for the Small SpaceMerely because a backyard space is small, does not mean trees are out. There are many varieties of dwarf trees such as evergreen Mugo pines or Japanese White Pines. Deciduous trees such as Bloodgood Japanese maple trees are also popular choices. Be careful. If larger trees are planted, they will eventually need to be removed.
12. Bring the Backyard Into the Front YardWith the imaginative use of screens and borders, front yards can be joined to the backyard. Seating areas that cannot be fitted into a backyard space can perhaps be accommodated in a side yard or behind a screen in front. When thinking about Backyard Landscaping Ideas, it is useful to consider the entire property for inclusion into the landscape design.
13. Landscaping Steep HillsidesMany small backyards have a tiny space behind the house that is level and the rest of the backyard property slopes down steeply. Smart Backyard Landscaping Tips include ways to prevent erosion, an important consideration for the homeowner if they wish to avoid watching their home slide downhill. A landscaping contractor can terrace the hill, making several wider spaces down the hill that can be used for seating or planting areas.